Be Sure Generator is Connected Correctly to Avoid Electrical Hazards
Electricity supplied by a generator has the same hazards as your regular utility-supplied electricity. You can face additional risks if your generator bypasses safety devices, such as circuit breakers, that are built into your electrical systems. Travelers recommends contacting an electrical contractor or the generator manufacturer for the proper installation of your generator.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for properly grounding your generator to help avoid electrical shock.
- Be sure your hands are dry and that you are not standing in water before touching the generator.
- Never plug your generator into a wall outlet.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator using manufacturer-specified cords or three-pronged extension cords with the proper amperage rating for the intended use.
- Be aware that portable generators become hot while running and remain hot for a significant amount of time after they are shut down, creating a potential fire hazard.
If you are looking for Long Island homeowners insurance, give Newbrook Insurance Agency a call. As an independent agent, we will shop for your homeowners insurance among many different insurance companies to ensure we get you the best coverage at the best price for your situation. Call us today at 631-473-7059.
Located in Port Jefferson Station, we serve all areas of Long Island including Suffolk County, Nassau County and all of New York state.